Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Chocolate-Zucchini Cupcakes

Also (mostly so I don't lose the recipe), the chocolate-zucchini cupcakes I made on Sunday were insanely good.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (Nuts in a cupcake? I think not. I left these out.)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar for about 10 minutes or until thickened and pale. Blend oil and cooled chocolate into the beaten egg mixture.

In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir flour mixture into egg mixture until just blended. Stir in zucchini and chopped nuts.

Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon batter into 24 paper-lined or greased muffin cups, filling the cups 2/3 full.

Bake for 20 minutes or until fork or toothpick inserted in a cupcake's center comes out clean.

Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely. Spread with chocolate frosting and garnish with walnut or pecan halves (optional).

6 comments:

nylonthread said...

Oooh, those look and sound wonderful! And remind me that my grandmother used to bake zucchini-nut bread when I was a wee lass. Loved it! Maybe I'll bake some this weekend?

Kelly O said...

It made these lovely moist, not-too-sweet, not-too-rich cupcakes. And whole wheat tends to make things a bit dry, so the zucchini helped a lot, I think.

thordora said...

With you on the nuts. Who the fuck puts nuts in things.

I shall try these. Insanely large zuc on the counter and last recipie HUGE fail.

kevin forgot said...

spelling of recipe fail

Kelly O said...

your a spellng and grammer natzi

kevin forgot said...

my nazi senses are tingling