Thursday, February 07, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year

Today starts the Chinese New Year, and instead of going out for Chinese like my husband suggested, we ended up at Denny's. Bleh.

We went there because it's near the PetSmart where we were planning to return a dead fish we got for the aquarium a friend gave me a few weeks ago for my birthday. The whole thing is quite macabre: if a fish dies within the first four days of being in your aquarium, you can return its body for a replacement fish. So we've had this dead fish for the last three days, slowly decomposing and turning fetid in its little baggie on the counter.

We left it in the car while having dinner, a thoroughly miserable experience. I know at some point having dinner out with the family will be fun and/or relaxing, but that's still probably a ways away.

Come to think of it, I do recall that Thea was two-and-a-half before we were able to have a mellow night out at a restaurant with her. So I suppose it's just par for the course that we spend the half hour at a crappy restaurant wolfing down our crappy food and snapping "Sit down, please. Get out from under the table, please. Eat your dinner already. You kids, I swear, we're never going out again."

And we forgot the receipt for our fish corpse, so the whole excursion was entirely pointless, anyway.

14 comments:

Daniel said...

love it love it love it.
why did I not hear this on NPR while sitting in stopped traffic on a highway on-ramp in southern california this evening????? this is way better than whatever it was that I heard! i'm sorry you left the receipt at home, but I'm also super happy because I laughed my ass off when I read that perfect ending to a most beautiful blog post. and it felt really good to laugh.

Kelly O said...

Aw, thanks, Daniel! I'm glad someone found it amusing. The Os, we did not.

monkeyrotica said...

That bit about Year of the Rat people "holding on to things they value" is a bunch of crap. My brother's a Rat and he's freaking broke.

I think decomposing-fish-in-a-bag beats skull jewelry as a memento mori hands down. Miss String needs to get on that joint, pronto. All the cool kids will want one!

Kelly O said...

I have a feeling we'll be able to keep her stocked with dead fish, should she choose to follow your suggestion.

TFO said...

Yeah that was one miserable dinner. No one should ever be tricked in to eating at Denny's like we were. I shake my fist at The Gods for that one.

wrekehavoc said...

denny's. eek. even i have my limits. no go-go bars. no lenny's. no cracker barrels.

but decomposing fish corpse? i think we have a band name, people.

monkeyrotica said...

Denny's exists for the sole purpose of having lousy meals with kids crawling everywhere. DO NOT WANT. Besides, aren't they always getting sued for making minorities wait DAYS for service? Now they're doing it to white folk? WTF?

Daniel said...

i have to say the Dennys in 29 Palms, CA...right between the biggest marine base in the USA and Joshua Tree National Park is almost worth going to. It is packed with young marines who eat in packs. The pancakes are mediocre but the sociological experience makes it worthwhile.

nylonthread said...

hmmm, dead fish as ornamentation? I will need to consider the ramifications of this. teeth and bones are certainly common types of beads... and someone at etsy is already all over it.

so sorry about your awful gung hay fat choy. maybe we can make up for it at the parade?

Lee said...

There are no Denny's around here..matter of fact there are no Waffle Houses, or IHOP's...what the hell's up with that? The Smith's went to Mextico tonight and I think we had the same conversation with our two...Turn around, quit staring at the table behind us, get out from under the table, don't stick your elbow in the ketchup....AND we would have left the receipt at home too, don't feel too bad!

Lee

onthecurb said...

Bluck, sorry about the crappy dining experience. Hey, at least you're not me! I'll never eat out with the family EVER! We'd have to book the party room.

Gav alone was a bad dining guest. He always spent the entire meal under the table and was fed like a dog begging for table scraps. At least he stayed quiet under there.

Hey, I'm a Rat. I am NOT hyperactive by any stretch of the imagination.

Grandy said...

It will get better...I promise. Hey...my little guy and I are both in the year of the rat!! ;) I'm visiting you by way of my twin's laptop. I came over to babysit her 3 boys (7, 3 & 2) BLESS HER!!

karrie said...

I had no idea about the return policy. PetSmart owes us about 57 bettas at this point.

Year of the Rat makes me happy though. :-)

amy t sharp said...

you crack me up gal!