Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Can you feel a brand new day?

Did you stay up to watch Obama's acceptance speech? It was amazing. If you weren't moved by it, you have a heart of stone and I want no part of you.

Not to be a buzzkill, but the election also meant the passage of some discriminatory propositions:

  • CALIFORNIA Prop 8: Anti-gay constitutional revision eliminates the right of same–sex couples to marry (This one is technically too close to call, but at this point it looks unlikely to be defeated.)
  • FLORIDA Amendment 2: Anti-gay constitutional amendment writes marriage discrimination into the state constitution
  • ARIZONA Prop 102: Anti-gay constitutional amendment writes marriage discrimination into the state constitution
  • ARKANSAS Act 1: Anti-gay measure bars unmarried couples from fostering or adopting children (Not just bad for teh gheys; this is bad for straight couples, too. But, let's face it, the people most hurt are children. Way to go, Arkansas.)

Miles to go before we sleep....

8 comments:

Kelly O said...

What, I'm the only "Wiz" fan?

Grandy said...

No...not the only Wiz fan...it just takes some of us a bit. ;)

So close on so many levels...and yet so far still.

nylonthread said...

I didn't stay up to watch the speech, but I did watch the video in my office yesterday afternoon. OMG, somebody must have thought my puppy died! I was crying & blowing my nose, it was so moving.

I want to write about the feeling I had the morning of election day...maybe on the NaBloPoMo site? Can't on my blog.

Kelly O said...

Nylon, why not on your blog?

Catherine said...

been reading some great stuff that prop 8 might could be unconstitutional because to take away constitutional rights you have to do something different than an amendment. An amendment AMENDS you're rights, not revokes them. And since the supreme court said the constitution gave those rights, you'd have to take them away.

Kelly O said...

Cat, I sincerely hope that's the case. Thanks for the ray of sunshine!

Daniel said...

the arkansas ruling is REALLY f*cked up! Keeping kids from loving homes for bs ideological reasons...it makes me so sad to think about it.

Renaissance Woman said...

I'm so glad that I can respond to this post. I agree! I am so excited that Obama is our next President. That said, I am so upset that Prop 8. What is wrong with people?