Thea turned 5 years old yesterday. It was a fun, action-packed birthday. We woke up early, had take-out breakfast from our favorite diner, played with birthday toys, went to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch, came home and and had birthday eclairs, and then collapsed on the couch until dinner, after which I made horse cupcakes (her favorite: chocolate zucchini) for her to take to school today. Whew!
Over the last year, Thea has become more self-assured. Temperamentally, she is not the kind of person who will walk into a group of strangers and want to be the center of attention. Instead she'll hold back and get the lay of the land before joining the other kids. She's always been this way. But she seems to be more comfortable in groups these days. Where a year ago she wouldn't walk into a store that was too crowded and loud, now she's fine with it. She's even fine in huge crowds that make me a little claustrophobic, like the march against Proposition 8.
Some things that have not changed:
- Thea still doesn't like sweets all that much, and we never have to worry about her over-eating candy. We can pretty much let her eat as much as she wants, because she'll only eat a small amount.
- She can, however, eat her weight in potato chips.
- Her favorite food is pizza.
- Her best friend is Liam. They have a wonderful relationship.
- She's surprisingly kind, funny, smart, and emotionally intuitive.
- Thea loves Wonder Woman. This makes me very happy. But I think part of it is that I told her that Wonder Woman is a princess. This makes me only a little deceitful.
- She also loves Barbie. But a woman I greatly admire and respect does, too, so I don't see the harm.
- She is more open to trying new foods, as long as we don't force the issue. If we put something in front of her a few times, she'll usually gamely try it.
- But she asks for water every night with dinner.
- She and Liam love pretending to be cheetahs and doing "gymnastics" (which means, really, jumping on the couch).
- She's learning how to swim and loves going to the pool.