Friday, January 30, 2009

Kellygo, The Hungarian, and The Spleen

Spleeness (who took this picture with her cell phone) and I had drinks with our friend Balasz last night before he left to return to Hungary. We met him about six weeks ago, picked him up at a bus station on our way home from a work function where I drank too much too quickly and was a little overly anxious about making sure we were on the right track home.

The details of how we befriended him are fuzzy, but I'm glad we did. Balasz is a funny and charming guy, and I hope we stay in touch. Here's one of my favorite anecdotes he relayed to us over bottles of wine and bourbon:

A friend of mine, an Air Force officer, told me a good story about the Korean War. During the war, both the U.S. and the Communist Chinese pilots had to cope with the problem of fear of flying. The Chinese instructors tried to solve it by ordering the pilots to undergo long hours of political and ideological education. The Americans? They used whisky instead.

God bless America!

3 comments:

spleeness said...

I'll drink to that!

Christie Lanning said...

Yay for alcohol!

monkeyrotica said...

Like flying, driving is a stressful activity. Which is why the DMV unveiled its "One For The Road" program.