Friday, September 10, 2010

An Evening with Philip Glass

Floogee, his best friend, and I were lucky enough to get tickets to see Philip Glass speak at the Corcoran about Chuck Close, whose work is hanging in a gallery upstairs. It was one of those experiences that I feel lucky to be a part of, living near D.C.

Basically Glass just sat at a table and spoke for a couple hours on whatever crossed his mind. One of my favorite things that he said was this:

Drawing is about seeing, dance is about moving, music is about listening. Poetry, by the way, is about speaking.

You could say it's overly reductive and essentialist, but I think there's something elegant about that statement.

(Yes, I also think there's something pretentious about THAT statement, but whatever.)

1 comment:

floogee said...

Like seeing Chuck, it's things such as this that just make you want to say, DC is NOT a bad place to live.