Italian Bread Using a Bread Machine
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form dough into two loaves. Place the loaves seam side down on a baking sheet. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise, until doubled in volume about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife. TIP: If you think you haven't cut deeply enough, cut a little deeper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.