Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New cocktail Wednesdays: British Bulldog

I've gone about a year or two straying from my first love, bourbon, to my new BFF, the martini. I make the best martini ever, really. I'll share my recipe at some point.

But my repertoire has narrowed significantly, so I decided to institute New Cocktail Wednesdays. This week's experiment is the British Bulldog, a riff on the "most expensive cocktail ever" recently in the news, which sells for $12,916 per cocktail.

From Eatocracy:

Winston (approximated)
  • 2 ounces 1858 Croizet Cognac Cuvée Léonie ($156,760 per bottle, at least when last found at auction; Churchill and Eisenhower allegedly drank this Cognac while planning D-Day, hence the cocktail’s name)
  • 2/3 ounce Grand Marnier Quintessence ($800 a bottle)
  • 2/3 ounce Chartreuse V.E.P. Yellow ($150 or so)
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
Stir with ice, serve to billionaire.
Cost per cocktail: $12,916.
The bargain version I’m going to christen the British Bulldog (with apologies to Mr. Heffernan, whom I’m sure is actually one heck of a bartender):
  • 2 ounces VSOP Cognac, your choice ($40, give or take)
  • 2/3 ounce Grand Marnier ($35)
  • 1/3 ounce green Chartreuse (much easier to find than the yellow, stronger, not as sweet and about $60)
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
Stir with ice in regular ol’ cocktail shaker with a chopstick, serve to anyone who looks thirsty.
Cost per cocktail: $4.80.
You know what? It ain’t half bad, though a little on the sweet side. Plus, you can have 2,690 British Bulldogs for the price of a single Winston. That’s what I call value.

I agree, it's too sweet for my tastes, but it's not horrible. I substituted Armagnac for the Cognac, but otherwise it was the same. Mike may have liked it better than I, but he still switched to Negronis after the British Bulldog.

No comments: